Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Countdown to India

Thank you for being patient for my next post. The last three weeks have been times of great growth for me and multiple birthday celebrations for team members.

Countdown to India
The countdown is on with just over a month until we leave for India. We plan to leave September 14 and arrive the next day (this will definitely be my longest international flight yet!). Outreach and debriefing will continue for 2 months, ending on November 13. I am seeking God for His will for me following CDTS.

Though I have a lot to learn, here's a little about where we'll be. We will be based in Tiruchirappalli, called Trichy ("Tree-chee") for short, a city of 1.2 million people. India is a Hindu nation, filled with temples and colorful statues. Transportation for foreigners includes taxis, rickshaws, buses and trains. We plan to help in orphanages, teach English, share testimonies, skits, and puppet shows. Preparation for these is already moving many of us beyond our comfort zones (me included!) and God is equipping us for things we did not know we could do.

In the classroom
During the past three weeks, I've re-evaluated my "Truth Box", more deeply felt the Father Heart of God, and pondered "Who is God?". It's nearly impossible to summarize these each in a sentence or less, but I'm going to try and share what touched me most.

* I realized how many untruths/lies I'd let into my Truth Box (another way of saying "beliefs you operate from on a daily basis") and how I need to "take them out" as they're revealed to me and replace them with God's truths = two-way communication with Him SO important!

* Through multiple truths from the Bible and a more relaxed week, God ministered to my heart...I just felt more at peace, getting a clearer glimpse of how much He loves me...no matter what!

* What are my anchors/non-negotiables that I'll weigh everything in life against? - God is good. God is big. God is love. For my dear, over-analytical brain, this brought some clarity as I move forward in more training.

"Life"
Life on base has been full of typical small group and one-on-one meetings, work duty, class, studying, worship, and intercession, but we've also celebrated 4 or more birthdays (yea for surprise parties and princess birthday cakes) and relaxed at the river...marking another feat for me!

For those who don't know, I'm not a huge fan of deep ends, though I'll tolerate them. ;) So when the opportunity came to jump off a 20+ foot bridge, of course I said....YES! It was a lot of fun, though I wouldn't add it to my list of "favorite things to do" just yet. :) Don't worry ~ the water where I jumped is much deeper than it looks, I promise!


Praise
* Continued growth as a team and personally with God
* Unexpected financial contributions last month and faithful giving from others
* Good health! In community life, that's quite a feat!

Prayer points
* God to continue to open my eyes to what He wants to refine in me
* God to help me to know how to love my teammates and those on outreach as He would
* Continued financial providence ~ the remainder of my outreach fees are due August 26 and I do not have that money in hand yet ~ trusting God as He's been so faithful!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so happy for you in this special season. It sounds like you've really given yourself to this process. I love that you are trying things you would not normally do. India is an amazing destination. Praying for you!!

    ReplyDelete